Skip to main content

MOM - Film Review.





Starring: Sridevi, Akshaye Khanna, Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

Director: Ravi Udyawar

Music: A.R. Rahman.

Rating: 4/5


Because God couldn't be everywhere, He created Mother. A line from the movie, it could very well sum up the movie for you. Sridevi couldn't have chosen a better subject for her 300th film. I haven't been a diehard Sridevi fan, but her last film, English Vinglish, changed my opinion of her and that's the reason I simply wanted to see MOM, right on the day it released.

MOM is emotional; MOM is electrifying; MOM is hard-hitting; MOM is riveting, right till the end.  In short, MOM is Sridevi. This could very well be the review in a nutshell, but there's more I would love to talk about.

Devki Sabarwal (Sridevi) is a school teacher, the kind one can never mess with, whoever you may be. However, at home, she struggles to bond with her 18 year old step-daughter, Arya (Sajal Ali). The quiet acceptance and the sensitivity with which she accepts the cold vibes she receives from Arya tug at our heartstrings. But, that's how families are, isn't it - dysfunctional?  Such is life in the Sabarwal family, until terror strikes in the form of rape of the 18 year old, Arya. How Sridevi tries to come to terms with the horror her daughter has been through and how she rises to fight back is what the film is all about.

It really isn't a fresh, new subject, to begin with. We have a mother who takes the form of Ma Durga to fight the wrong-doers  - a plot that may have been used in many a film. However, what is different here is the handling of the subject and its presentation, its portrayal that makes it an edge-of-the-seat entertainer. The sexual assault scenes are hard-hitting,  rather disturbing, in fact, as such scenes always are.  But, that's one risk every filmmaker takes when dealing with this subject.

The film revolves around how Sridevi fights for justice for a daughter who battles for her life in the hospital bed, and, who just cannot accept her step-mother, despite every effort her step-mother puts in. A scene when Sridevi speaks into the phone to convey the news of the tragedy to her husband and breaks down at every word stands out as one of the best scenes by Sridevi, according to me. I had goosebumps as I sat there, watching this great performer deliver yet another memorable performance.

The film also has our very elusive Akshaye Khanna playing the role of a cop with such finesse, it makes you wonder why the man doesn't work oftener! However, it's Nawazuddin Siddiqui who manages to shine despite the great actors around him. His entry in the film reminded me of his two second role in the old movie, Sarfarosh, and how far he has come from there. He isn't the kind of 'loud' character actors who strive to stand out for their performance. His simplicity, his sharpness, his knowledge about the character he portrays added with his own contribution to the character makes him one of the most versatile and talented actors of today.

Adnan Siddiqui, who plays Sridevi's husband, Sajal Ali, who plays Arya, and Abhimanyu Singh, the bad guy, get full marks for their performances, too. A.R. Rahman gives us the kind of musical score that helps in making the movie complete. The end was rather predictable, though. Not that I am an authority on cinema, but they could have tried something different. But, it really didn't matter so much because the audience sat still for quite some time even after the movie had ended. And that, I guess,  speaks a lot about the film's impact, doesn't it?

Sridevi proves how a woman can carry just about anything on her shoulders. She not only proves her mettle in the acting department, but also gives her co-actors the space and the respect that any matured and seasoned actor like her would do.

It's been a long time since a movie didn't put me to sleep mid-way. I did enter the theatre with a lot of trepidation, worried as I was of dozing off like I always do. However, the fact that I not just did not doze off, but was on the edge of my seat throughout and stayed put even after the credit rolls, proves that the film is worth a watch, and value for money, too!







Comments

  1. What a crisp and well written review, Shilpa. I will watch the film only on your reccomendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's so sweet of you, Mayuri! But, seriously, watch it for Sridevi...and also for the film. It's really good! :)

      Delete
  2. I really want to go for this one, solely because Sridevi was my favourite while growing up! Nicely penned down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zainab!
      I am sure you will love the film...do go for it! :)
      And, thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I love Sridevi too. Thanks for this review, Shilpa. Not sure when I will see this movie, but will make sure I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will like it, Corinne! Sridevi's performance is truly brilliant!

      Delete
  4. This is a wonderful review. I have been wondering whether to go to the movie or not. I really want to but I don't seem to be having the guts to do so. This is one topic which is every mother's worst nightmare. But your review is pushing me to go to the theaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Rubina. It is every parent's worst nightmare, but the way it has been dealt with and the way Sridevi's character fights back is worth a watch.
      Thank you for visiting, Rubina! :)

      Delete
  5. I loved Sridevi in English Vinglish. She is such a fantastic actress (except her grating voice). I am hearing great reviews about this film. Will watch it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rachna, but for her voice, Sridevi would have been a favourite instead of some others. But, if you leave aside that one flaw, she is a powerhouse of talent! Do give it a try, I am sure you will love it, too!

      Delete
  6. After reading this, I want to watch the film. I am not too fond of revenge dramas but Sridevi seems to have performed well. Akshay Khanna is a personal favourite and I really wish he acts more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked watching it because it was a revenge drama, like Kahaani. And, also for the strong female characters in both these films. I think you should definitely watch the film, Lata.

      Delete
  7. Now I really want to watch this after reading your review...I liked her come back movie so much that I cannot wait for more from her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nabanita, do watch the film and let me know how you liked it! :)

      Delete
  8. I love Sridevi too! I wasn't too keen on watching this one, because I don't like such dark movies, but, Shilpa, you've got me hooked. 😀Will try and watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a try, Apeksha. It may be dark, but it does have some really wonderful talent on show!

      Delete
  9. Big fan of Sri, Shilpa! Loved English Vinglish. I am looking forward to seeing this film. I like the way you reviewed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vidya! Yes, do watch it, you will love Sri! :)

      Delete
  10. This one needs to be seen going by your review. I loved Sridevi in her previous outing in English Vinglish but am apprehensive that this one will be a heavy watch, which I why I have stayed away. I have turned into a Nawazuddin Siddiqui fan and have heard great things about Akshaye's role too, so maybe I should just go and watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed heavy, Tulika. But, the brilliant way in which all the actors have emoted, it leaves you spellbound! Do watch it, if you can.

      Delete
  11. English Vinglish is what made me like Sridevi. Thinking of going for Mom but I fear it might disturb me for many days like the news of such incidents do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rekha, it is disturbing and leaves you feeling frustrated at the male attitude of treating women like objects to be used and thrown. But, the way the mother fights back is to be seen, for sure. Do go ahead and give it a try.

      Delete
  12. I'd watch anything with Sri in it! And I have been wanting to watch since since I saw the trailer. So powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed powerful, Soumya. I am sure you will love it! :)

      Delete
  13. As a south Indian, I am proud to say I have watched several Sridevi films in Tamil as well as Hindi. She is one of the more stellar actresses in the industry. Nobody can match her repertoire of emotions. This story seems interesting and I did like her outing in English Vinglish. By the way, you do a good job of film reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is truly gifted, isn't it, Shy? Do watch this film. I am sure you will love her in it.

      And, I am glad you liked this review! :)

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the review Shilpa. Sridevi earned my respect with English-Vinglish and your post ensures that I watch this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will definitely like her in this film, too, Sara!

      Thank you for visiting! :)

      Delete
  15. I watched it yesterday night 10pm show...and when the movie got over it was 1 am. We stepped out of the movie hall and I was dead scared, even though I live in Mumbai and 1 am is almost evening yet I was scared. This was the impact of the movie on me. All the actors did justice to the role. I even 'hated' that Mohit.. and that actor really deserves appreciation for playing that role so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa thats one helluva neat review Shilpa. I also became a Sri fan only after English Vinglish where I feel she portrayed that sense of frustration of a misunderstood home maker who is always out down becuase of it....
    Your review makes me wanna go see the movie right now - thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, this is a lovely review, and i think I shall defeintely watch it.. THe music you say is by AR Rahman? Ah he is my favoutire too.. so thats two reasons to watch the movie Sridevi and for AR Rahman!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very detailed and lovely review, this, Shilpa. I cannot say I'm a fan of Sridevi (her acting skills and dialogue deliveries are way better in Tamizh, though) but I've liked her in some Hindi movies and esp. loved her in English Vinglish. I've been hearing rave reviews of this movie and I hope I get to watch it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

A pleasant surprise.

Life does that. Springs surprises when you are least expecting any. And  you are left baffled, overwhelmed, ecstatic, and, surprised, too! You find it unbelievable that such a thing could happen with you. And, it takes a lot of probing and analysing to finally accept that something this unimaginable could happen to you, too!

              The above emotions are  what I went through when I received a message from the Manager of Baggout that my blog had been selected as one of the 15 best love and relationships blogs in India. I must have read the message 5 times and still found it unbelievable. In fact, I thought someone was playing a prank. I made enquiries, tried finding out all about Baggout and went back to where I was - in a state of utter disbelief! Call it low self esteem if you wish, but I wondered how  anyone could find my one and a half year old blog worthy of any such mention.

        The feeling was  good, nay, great. But, unless I saw it all in black and w…